Pulitzer Prize, Biography, 2016A deeply rendered self-portrait of a lifelong surfer by the acclaimed New Yorker author. Barbarian Days is William Finnegan’s memoir of an obsession, a fancy enchantment. Browsing solely seems like a sport. To initiates it’s one thing else fully: an exquisite habit, a demanding course of research, a morally harmful pastime, a lifestyle. Raised in California and Hawaii, Finnegan began browsing as a toddler. He has chased waves everywhere in the world, wandering for years by means of the South Pacific, Australia, Asia, Africa. A bookish boy after which an excessively adventurous younger man, he went on to develop into a distinguished author and battle reporter. Barbarian Days takes us deep into unfamiliar worlds, a few of them proper underneath our noses – off the coasts of New York and San Francisco. It immerses the listener within the edgy camaraderie of shut male friendships annealed in difficult waves. Finnegan shares tales of life in a whites-only gang in a troublesome college in Honolulu even whereas his closest pal was a Hawaiian surfer. He reveals us a world turned the other way up for youths and adults alike by the social upheavals of the Nineteen Sixties. He particulars the intricacies of well-known waves and his personal apprenticeships to them. Youthful folly – he drops LSD whereas driving big Honolua Bay on Maui – is served up with rueful humor. He and a buddy, their knapsacks filled with reef charts, bushwhack by means of Polynesia. They uncover, whereas tenting on an uninhabited island in Fiji, one of many world’s biggest waves. As Finnegan’s travels take him ever farther afield, he turns into an unbelievable anthropologist: unpicking the picturesque simplicity of a Samoan fishing village, dissecting the sexual politics of Tongan interactions with Individuals and Japanese, navigating the Indonesian black market whereas practically succumbing to malaria. All through, he surfs, carrying listeners with him on rides of harrowing, unprecedented lucidity.
- Download Audiobook The Impossible First by Colin O’Brady in English
- Download Audiobook A Most Remarkable Creature: The Hidden Life and Epic Journey of the World’s Smartest Birds of Prey by Jonathan Meiburg in English
- Download Audiobook BuzzFeed Unsolved Supernatural: 101 True Tales of Hauntings, Demons, and the Paranormal by Ryan Bergara in English
- Download Audiobook Bill Bryson Collector’s Edition: Notes from a Small Island, Neither Here Nor There, and I’m a Stranger Here Myself by Bill Bryson in English
- Download Audiobook Grandma Gatewood’s Walk: The Inspiring Story of the Woman Who Saved the Appalachian Trail by Ben Montgomery in English
- Download Audiobook The Ridiculous Misadventures of a Single Girl: Eat, Pray, #FML, Book 2 by Gabrielle Stone in English