Uncover the “fascinating and outrageously readable” account of the roguish acts of the primary pirates to raid the Pacific in a campaign that resulted in a sensational trial again in England—good for followers of Nathaniel Philbrick and David McCullough (Douglas Preston, #1 New York Occasions bestselling writer of The Misplaced Metropolis of the Monkey God)The 12 months is 1680, within the coronary heart of the Golden Age of Piracy, and greater than 300 daring, hardened pirates—a potent mixture of low-life scallywags and a uncommon breed of gents buccaneers—collect on a distant Caribbean island. The plan: to wreak havoc on the Pacific shoreline, raiding cities, mines, and service provider ships. The booty: the brilliant gleam of Spanish gold and the possibility to turn into legends. So begins one of many best piratical adventures of the period—a narrative not given its full due till now.Impressed by the intrepid forays of pirate turned Jamaican governor Captain Henry Morgan—sure, that Captain Morgan—the corporate crosses Panama on foot, slashing its means via the Darien Isthmus, one of many thickest jungles on the planet, and liberating a local princess alongside the way in which. After reaching the South Sea, the buccaneers, primarily Englishmen, plunder the Spanish Essential in a collection of historic assaults, typically prevailing in opposition to staggering odds and superior firepower. A collective shudder racks the western shoreline of South America because the English pirates, waging a sort of proxy battle in opposition to the Spaniards, gleefully undertake a short reign over Pacific waters, marauding up and down the continent.With novelistic prose and a rip-roaring sense of journey, Keith Thomson guides us via the pirates’ legendary two-year odyssey. We witness the buccaneers evading Indigenous tribes, Spanish conquistadors, and generally even their very own English countrymen, all with the ever-present risk of the gallows for anybody captured. By fusing contemporaneous accounts with intensive analysis and beforehand unknown major sources, Born to Be Hanged presents a rollicking account of probably the most astonishing pirate expeditions of all time.
- Download Audiobook Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith by Jon Krakauer in English
- Download Audiobook American Psychosis: A Historical Investigation of How the Republican Party Went Crazy by David Corn in English
- Download Audiobook White Fear: How the Browning of America Is Making White Folks Lose Their Minds by Roland S. Martin in English
- Download Audiobook The Bomber Mafia: A Dream, a Temptation, and the Longest Night of the Second World War by Malcolm Gladwell in English
- Download Audiobook Born to Be Hanged: The Epic Story of the Gentlemen Pirates Who Raided the South Seas, Rescued a Princess, and Stole a Fortune by Keith Thomson in English
- Download Audiobook Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow in English