Canoeing the Congo narrates the journey of Phil Harwood, who undertook an epic five-month solo try and canoe the Congo River in war-torn Central Africa. It was a historic first descent from the true supply within the highlands of Zambia. Simply wanting 3,000 miles lengthy, the Congo River is the eighth longest on the planet and the deepest river on the planet, with a stream charge second solely to the Amazon. Alongside the best way, Phil encountered quite a few waterfalls, big rapids, man-eating crocodiles, hippos, aggressive snakes and spiders’ webs the dimensions of homes. He confronted endemic corruption, was arrested, intimidated, bullied, chased and he obtained quite a few loss of life threats. He additionally collapsed from malaria. The individuals had been principally pleasant, nonetheless, and Phil obtained great hospitality from a proud and courageous individuals, particularly from the riverside fishermen who helped him wherever they might. On one stretch of river often called The Abattoir on account of its previous historical past of cannibalism and present popularity for felony exercise, he employed 4 brothers with a shotgun to accompany him as bodyguards. They paddled and floated for 5 days and nights on the river. Widespread questions from locals had been, ‘why have not you narrow his throat but?’ and ‘for those who do not wish to do it, inform us the place your tenting and we’ll come and do it for you …We’ll share his cash.’ It was an exhilarating, terrifying and fantastic journey however Phil managed to outlive, regardless of the chances, to inform his story. Canoeing the Congo will attraction to followers of adventurous journey writing and individuals who love the character and wilderness. Phil, who’s a fan of journey tales himself, enjoys the work of Ranulph Fiennes and Invoice Bryson. Phil has labored all around the world as an ex-Royal Marine Commando, ski-guide, expedition chief, outside teacher and growth coach. He’s certified as mountain chief, a degree 4 canoe coach, a degree 3 kayak coach, a mountaineering teacher, a wilderness emergency medical technician and a primary help teacher. Phil’s passions are journey and problem, particularly canoeing distant wilderness rivers – the extra wild the higher!
- Download Audiobook The Impossible First by Colin O’Brady in English
- Download Audiobook A Most Remarkable Creature: The Hidden Life and Epic Journey of the World’s Smartest Birds of Prey by Jonathan Meiburg in English
- Download Audiobook BuzzFeed Unsolved Supernatural: 101 True Tales of Hauntings, Demons, and the Paranormal by Ryan Bergara in English
- Download Audiobook Bill Bryson Collector’s Edition: Notes from a Small Island, Neither Here Nor There, and I’m a Stranger Here Myself by Bill Bryson in English
- Download Audiobook Grandma Gatewood’s Walk: The Inspiring Story of the Woman Who Saved the Appalachian Trail by Ben Montgomery in English
- Download Audiobook The Ridiculous Misadventures of a Single Girl: Eat, Pray, #FML, Book 2 by Gabrielle Stone in English