New York Instances bestselling writer Hampton Sides returns with a white-knuckle story of polar exploration and survival within the Gilded AgeIn the late nineteenth century, folks had been obsessed by one of many final unmapped areas of the globe: The North Pole. Nobody knew what existed past the fortress of ice rimming the northern oceans. James Gordon Bennett, the eccentric and stupendously rich proprietor of The New York Herald, had not too long ago captured the world’s consideration by dispatching Stanley to Africa to seek out Dr. Livingstone. Now he was eager to re-create that sensation on an much more epic scale. So he funded an official U.S. naval expedition to achieve the Pole, selecting as its captain a younger officer named George Washington De Lengthy, who had gained fame for a rescue operation off the coast of Greenland. De Lengthy led a workforce of 32 males deep into uncharted Arctic waters, carrying the aspirations of a younger nation burning to develop into a world energy. On July 8, 1879, the USS Jeannette set sail from San Francisco to cheering crowds within the grip of “Arctic Fever.” The ship sailed into uncharted seas, however quickly was trapped in pack ice. Two years into the harrowing voyage, the hull was breached. Amid the push of water and the shrieks of breaking wood boards, the crew deserted the ship. Lower than an hour later, the Jeannette sank to the underside, and the lads discovered themselves marooned a thousand miles north of Siberia with solely the barest provides. Thus started their lengthy march throughout the countless ice – a frozen hell in essentially the most lonesome nook of the world. Dealing with every little thing from snow blindness and polar bears to ferocious storms and frosty labyrinths, the expedition battled insanity and hunger as they desperately strove for survival. With twists and turns worthy of a thriller, Within the Kingdom of Ice is a spellbinding story of heroism and dedication in essentially the most unforgiving territory on Earth.
- Download Audiobook The Impossible First by Colin O’Brady in English
- Download Audiobook A Most Remarkable Creature: The Hidden Life and Epic Journey of the World’s Smartest Birds of Prey by Jonathan Meiburg in English
- Download Audiobook BuzzFeed Unsolved Supernatural: 101 True Tales of Hauntings, Demons, and the Paranormal by Ryan Bergara in English
- Download Audiobook Bill Bryson Collector’s Edition: Notes from a Small Island, Neither Here Nor There, and I’m a Stranger Here Myself by Bill Bryson in English
- Download Audiobook Grandma Gatewood’s Walk: The Inspiring Story of the Woman Who Saved the Appalachian Trail by Ben Montgomery in English
- Download Audiobook The Ridiculous Misadventures of a Single Girl: Eat, Pray, #FML, Book 2 by Gabrielle Stone in English