In The Bomber Mafia: A Dream, a Temptation, and the Longest Evening of the Second World Battle, Malcolm Gladwell, creator of New York Instances finest sellers together with Speaking to Strangers and host of the podcast Revisionist Historical past, makes use of authentic interviews, archival footage, and his trademark perception to weave collectively the tales of a Dutch genius and his do-it-yourself laptop, a band of brothers in Central Alabama, a British psychopath, and pyromaniacal chemists at Harvard. As listeners hear these tales unfurl, Gladwell examines one of many biggest ethical challenges in fashionable American historical past.Most army thinkers within the years main as much as World Battle II noticed the airplane as an afterthought. However a small band of idealistic strategists had a unique view. This “Bomber Mafia” requested: What if precision bombing may, simply by taking out crucial choke factors – industrial or transportation hubs – cripple the enemy and make battle far much less deadly?In Revisionist Historical past, Gladwell reexamines moments from the previous and asks whether or not we acquired it proper the primary time. In The Bomber Mafia, he employs all of the manufacturing strategies that make Revisionist Historical past so partaking, stepping again from the bombing of Tokyo, the deadliest night time of the battle, and asking, “Was it value it?” The assault was the brainchild of Normal Curtis LeMay, whose brutal pragmatism and scorched-earth techniques in Japan value hundreds of civilian lives however could have spared extra by averting a deliberate US invasion.Issues might need gone in another way had LeMay’s predecessor, Normal Haywood Hansell, remained in cost. As a key member of the Bomber Mafia, Hansell’s theories of precision bombing had been foiled by unhealthy climate and human error. When he and Curtis LeMay squared off for a management handover within the jungles of Guam, LeMay emerged victorious, resulting in the darkest night time of World Battle II.The Bomber Mafia is a riveting story of persistence, innovation, and the incalculable wages of battle.
- Download Audiobook The Molecule of More: How a Single Chemical in Your Brain Drives Love, Sex, and Creativity – And Will Determine the Fate of the Human Race by Daniel Z. Lieberman MD in English
- Download Audiobook Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital by Sheri Fink in English
- Download Audiobook Finding the Mother Tree: Discovering the Wisdom of the Forest by Suzanne Simard in English
- Download Audiobook The Metaverse: And How It Will Revolutionize Everything by Matthew Ball in English
- Download Audiobook The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan in English
- Download Audiobook Fuzz: When Nature Breaks the Law by Mary Roach in English