The rags-to-riches American frontier story of an Irish immigrant who outwits, outworks, and outmaneuvers 1000’s of rivals to take management of Nevada’s Comstock Lode – the wealthy physique of gold and silver so immensely helpful that it modified the future of the US.Born in 1831, John W. Mackay was a penniless Irish immigrant who got here of age in New York Metropolis, went to California in the course of the Gold Rush, and mined with out a lot luck for eight years. When he heard of riches discovered on the opposite aspect of the Sierra Nevada Mountains in 1859, Mackay deserted his declare and walked 100 miles to the Comstock Lode in Nevada.Over the course of the following dozen years, Mackay labored his approach up from nothing, thwarting the pernicious “Financial institution Ring” monopoly to grab management of probably the most concentrated cache of valuable metals ever discovered on earth, the legendary “Large Bonanza”, a stupendously wealthy physique of gold and silver ore found 1,500 toes beneath the streets of Virginia Metropolis, the last word Previous West boomtown. However for the ore to be value something it needed to be discovered, claimed, and efficiently extracted, every step requiring huge danger and the creation of a wholly new business.Now Gregory Crouch tells Mackay’s wonderful story – how he extracted the ore from deep underground and used his huge mining fortune to crush the transatlantic telegraph monopoly of the infamous Jay Gould. When Mackay died in 1902, front-page obituaries in Europe and the US hailed him as one of the admired People of the age. The Bonanza King is a blinding tour de pressure, a riveting historical past of Virginia Metropolis, Nevada, the Comstock Lode, and America itself.
- Download Audiobook Cybersecurity for Dummies by Joseph Steinberg in English
- Download Audiobook Fundamentals of Software Architecture: An Engineering Approach by Mark Richards in English
- Download Audiobook The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains by Nicholas Carr in English
- Download Audiobook The Art of Invisibility: The World’s Most Famous Hacker Teaches You How to Be Safe in the Age of Big Brother and Big Data by Kevin Mitnick in English
- Download Audiobook Staff Engineer: Leadership Beyond the Management Track by Will Larson in English
- Download Audiobook Algorithms of Oppression: How Search Engines Reinforce Racism by Safiya Umoja Noble in English