From the creator of the New York Instances bestseller The Women of Atomic Metropolis comes the fascinating true story behind the magnificent Gilded Age mansion Biltmore – the most important, grandest residence ever in-built the USA. Orphaned at a younger age, Edith Stuyvesant Dresser claimed lineage from one in every of New York’s greatest recognized households. She grew up in Newport and Paris, and her engagement and marriage to George Vanderbilt was one of the watched occasions of Gilded Age society. However none of this ready her to be mistress of Biltmore Home. Earlier than their marriage, the rich and bookish Vanderbilt had devoted his life to making a spectacular European-style property on 125,000 acres of North Carolina wilderness. He summoned the well-known panorama architect Frederick Legislation Olmsted to tame the grounds, collaborated with celebrated architect Richard Morris Hunt to construct a 175,000-square-foot chateau, crammed it with priceless artwork and antiques, and erected a captivating village past the gates. Newlywed Edith was now mistress of an property almost 3 times the scale of Washington, DC and benefactress of the village and surrounding rural space. When fortunes shifted and altering instances threatened her household, her dwelling, and her group, it was as much as Edith to save lots of Biltmore – and safe the way forward for the area and her husband’s legacy. The story of Biltmore spans World Wars, the Jazz Age, the Despair, and generations of the well-known Vanderbilt household, and incorporates a charming solid of real-life characters together with F. Scott Fitzgerald, Thomas Wolfe, Teddy Roosevelt, John Singer Sargent, James Whistler, Henry James, and Edith Wharton. The Final Citadel is the distinctive American story of how the most important home in America flourished, faltered, and in the end endured to today.
- Download Audiobook Neverwhere: A BBC Radio Full-Cast Dramatisation by Neil Gaiman in English
- Download Audiobook The Steal Like an Artist Audio Trilogy: How to Be Creative, Show Your Work, and Keep Going by Austin Kleon in English
- Download Audiobook Is This Anything? by Jerry Seinfeld in English
- Download Audiobook Paddle Your Own Canoe: One Man’s Fundamentals for Delicious Living by Nick Offerman in English
- Download Audiobook How to Tell a Story: The Essential Guide to Memorable Storytelling from The Moth by The Moth in English
- Download Audiobook Coal Miner’s Daughter by Loretta Lynn in English