The revered New York Occasions best-selling creator traces the event of know-how from the Industrial Age to the Digital Age to discover the only element essential to development – precision – in an excellent historical past that’s each an homage and a warning for our future.The rise of producing couldn’t have occurred with out an consideration to precision. On the daybreak of the Industrial Revolution in 18th-century England, requirements of measurement have been established, giving solution to the event of machine instruments – machines that make machines. Finally, the appliance of precision instruments and strategies resulted within the creation and mass manufacturing of things from weapons and glass to mirrors, lenses, and cameras – and finally gave solution to additional breakthroughs, together with gene splicing, microchips, and the Hadron Collider.Simon Winchester takes us again to origins of the Industrial Age, to England the place he introduces the scientific minds that helped usher in fashionable manufacturing: John Wilkinson, Henry Maudslay, Joseph Bramah, Jesse Ramsden, and Joseph Whitworth. It was Thomas Jefferson who later exported their discoveries to the fledgling United States, setting the nation on its course to turn into a producing titan. Winchester strikes ahead by means of time, to in the present day’s cutting-edge developments occurring all over the world, from America to Western Europe to Asia.As he introduces the minds and strategies which have modified the trendy world, Winchester explores elementary questions. Why is precision essential? What are the totally different instruments we use to measure it? Who has invented and perfected it? Has the pursuit of the ultra-precise in so many aspects of human life blinded us to different issues of equal worth, resembling an appreciation for the age-old traditions of workmanship, artwork, and excessive tradition? Are we lacking one thing that displays the world as it’s, moderately than the world as we predict we would want it to be? And may the exact and the pure co-exist in society?
- Download Audiobook Life 3.0: Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence by Max Tegmark in English
- Download Audiobook Staff Engineer: Leadership Beyond the Management Track by Will Larson in English
- Download Audiobook The Singularity Is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology by Ray Kurzweil in English
- Download Audiobook Stealing Fire: How Silicon Valley, the Navy SEALs, and Maverick Scientists Are Revolutionizing the Way We Live and Work by Steven Kotler in English
- Download Audiobook Sandworm: A New Era of Cyberwar and the Hunt for the Kremlin’s Most Dangerous Hackers by Andy Greenberg in English
- Download Audiobook Accelerate: Building and Scaling High Performing Technology Organizations by Nicole Forsgren PhD in English