An irreverent, shocking, and fully entertaining have a look at the little-known historical past surrounding the meals we all know and love.Is Italian olive oil actually Italian, or are we dipping our bread in lamp oil? Why are we masochistically drawn to meals that may harm us, like scorching peppers? Removed from being a traditional American dish, is apple pie really…English?“As a species, we’re hardwired to obsess over meals”, Matt Siegel explains as he units out “to uncover the hidden aspect of the whole lot we put in our mouths”. Siegel additionally probes topics starting from the myths – and realities – of meals as aphrodisiac, to how one of many rarest and most unique spices in all of the world (vanilla) grew to become a synonym for uninspired sexual proclivities, to the function of meals in fairy and morality tales. He even makes a well-argued case for a way ice cream helped defeat the Nazis.The Secret Historical past of Meals is a wealthy and satisfying exploration of the historic, cultural, scientific, sexual, and, sure, culinary subcultures of this most important realm. Siegel is an armchair Anthony Bourdain, armed not with a chef’s knife however with data derived from medieval food-related manuscripts, historic Chinese language scrolls, and obscure culinary journals. Humorous and engaging, The Secret Historical past of Meals is crucial listening for all foodies.Supplemental enhancement PDF accompanies the audiobook. PLEASE NOTE: Whenever you buy this title, the accompanying PDF shall be accessible in your Audible Library together with the audio.
- Download Audiobook Whiskey in a Teacup by Reese Witherspoon in English
- Download Audiobook The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs by Patricia McConnell PhD in English
- Download Audiobook Somebody Feed Phil the Book: Untold Stories, Behind-the-Scenes Photos and Favorite Recipes: A Cookbook by Phil Rosenthal in English
- Download Audiobook The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning: How to Free Yourself and Your Family from a Lifetime of Clutter by Margareta Magnusson in English
- Download Audiobook Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up by Marie Kondo in English
- Download Audiobook Order from Chaos: The Everyday Grind of Staying Organized with Adult ADHD by Jaclyn Paul in English