“That is historical past on a grand scale, with a sweep and ambition that’s uncommon… A correct historic epic of dazzling vary and achievement.” (William Dalrymple, The Guardian) The epic historical past of the crossroads of the world – the assembly place of East and West and the birthplace of civilization It was on the Silk Roads that East and West first encountered one another by way of commerce and conquest, resulting in the unfold of concepts, cultures, and religions. From the rise and fall of empires to the unfold of Buddhism and the appearance of Christianity and Islam, proper as much as the good wars of the twentieth century – this guide reveals how the destiny of the West has all the time been inextricably linked to the East. Peter Frankopan realigns our understanding of the world, pointing us eastward. He vividly re-creates the emergence of the primary cities in Mesopotamia and the start of empires in Persia, Rome, and Constantinople, in addition to the depredations by the Mongols, the transmission of the Black Dying, and the violent struggles over Western imperialism. All through the millennia, it was the urge for food for overseas items that introduced East and West collectively, driving economies and the expansion of countries. From the Center East and its political instability to China and its financial rise, the huge area stretching eastward from the Balkans throughout the steppe and South Asia has been thrust into the worldwide highlight lately. Frankopan teaches us that to know what’s at stake for the cities and nations constructed on these intricate commerce routes, we should first perceive their astounding pasts. Way over a historical past of the Silk Roads, this guide is actually a revelatory new historical past of the world, promising to destabilize notions of the place we come from and the place we’re headed subsequent.
- Download Audiobook Cry of the Kalahari by Mark Owens in English
- Download Audiobook World Travel: An Irreverent Guide by Anthony Bourdain in English
- Download Audiobook The Ridiculous Misadventures of a Single Girl: Eat, Pray, #FML, Book 2 by Gabrielle Stone in English
- Download Audiobook In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeannette by Hampton Sides in English
- Download Audiobook Ranger Confidential: Living, Working, and Dying in the National Parks by Andrea Lankford in English
- Download Audiobook Nowhere for Very Long: The Unexpected Road to an Unconventional Life by Brianna Madia in English