From the one American journalist ever to have been admitted to the insular Tokyo Metropolitan Police press membership: a novel, firsthand, revelatory take a look at Japanese tradition from the underbelly up. At 19, Jake Adelstein went to Japan seeking peace and tranquility. What he acquired was a lifetime of crime – crime reporting, that’s, on the prestigious Yomiuri Shinbun. For 12 years of 80-hour workweeks, he coated the seedy facet of Japan, the place extortion, homicide, human trafficking, and corruption are as acquainted as ramen noodles and sake. However when his last scoop introduced him head to head with Japan’s most notorious yakuza boss – and the specter of dying for him and his household – Adelstein determined to step down…momentarily. Then, he fought again.In Tokyo Vice, Adelstein tells the riveting, usually humorous story of his journey from an inexperienced cub reporter – who made rookie errors like getting right into a martial-arts battle with a senior editor – to a daring, investigative journalist with a value on his head. With its vivid, visceral descriptions of crime in Japan and an exploration of the world of modern-day yakuza that even few Japanese ever see, Tokyo Vice is a fascination, and an schooling, from first to final.
- Download Audiobook The Impossible First by Colin O’Brady in English
- Download Audiobook A Most Remarkable Creature: The Hidden Life and Epic Journey of the World’s Smartest Birds of Prey by Jonathan Meiburg in English
- Download Audiobook BuzzFeed Unsolved Supernatural: 101 True Tales of Hauntings, Demons, and the Paranormal by Ryan Bergara in English
- Download Audiobook Bill Bryson Collector’s Edition: Notes from a Small Island, Neither Here Nor There, and I’m a Stranger Here Myself by Bill Bryson in English
- Download Audiobook Grandma Gatewood’s Walk: The Inspiring Story of the Woman Who Saved the Appalachian Trail by Ben Montgomery in English
- Download Audiobook The Ridiculous Misadventures of a Single Girl: Eat, Pray, #FML, Book 2 by Gabrielle Stone in English