New York Instances Greatest Vendor“Travels with George…is quintessential Philbrick – a energetic, brave, and masterful achievement.” (The Boston Globe)Does George Washington nonetheless matter? Greatest-selling writer Nathaniel Philbrick argues for Washington’s distinctive contribution to the forging of America by retracing his journey as a brand new president via all 13 former colonies, which have been now an not sure nation. Travels with George marks a brand new first-person voice for Philbrick, weaving historical past and private reflection right into a single narrative.When George Washington grew to become president in 1789, america of America was nonetheless a free and quarrelsome confederation and a tentative political experiment. Washington undertook a tour of the ex-colonies to speak to abnormal residents about his new authorities, and to imbue in them the concept of being one factor – Individuals.Within the fall of 2018, Nathaniel Philbrick launched into his personal journey into what Washington known as “the toddler woody nation” to see for himself what America had turn into within the 229 years since. Writing in a considerate first individual about his personal adventures along with his spouse, Melissa, and their canine, Dora, Philbrick follows Washington’s presidential excursions: from Mount Vernon to the brand new capital in New York; a monthlong tour of Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island; a enterprise onto Lengthy Island and finally throughout Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina. The narrative strikes easily between the eighteenth and twenty-first centuries as we see the nation via each Washington’s and Philbrick’s eyes.Written at a second when America’s founding figures are below rising scrutiny, Travels with George grapples bluntly and actually with Washington’s legacy as a person of the folks, a reluctant president, and a plantation proprietor who held folks in slavery. At historic homes and landmarks, Philbrick reviews on the reinterpretations at work as he meets reenactors, tour guides, and different keepers of historical past’s flame. He paints an image of 18th-century America as divided and fraught as it’s as we speak, and he comes to know how Washington compelled, enticed, stood as much as, and listened to the various completely different folks he met alongside the best way – and the way his all-consuming perception within the union helped to forge a nation.
- Download Audiobook The Impossible First by Colin O’Brady in English
- Download Audiobook A Most Remarkable Creature: The Hidden Life and Epic Journey of the World’s Smartest Birds of Prey by Jonathan Meiburg in English
- Download Audiobook BuzzFeed Unsolved Supernatural: 101 True Tales of Hauntings, Demons, and the Paranormal by Ryan Bergara in English
- Download Audiobook Bill Bryson Collector’s Edition: Notes from a Small Island, Neither Here Nor There, and I’m a Stranger Here Myself by Bill Bryson in English
- Download Audiobook Grandma Gatewood’s Walk: The Inspiring Story of the Woman Who Saved the Appalachian Trail by Ben Montgomery in English
- Download Audiobook The Ridiculous Misadventures of a Single Girl: Eat, Pray, #FML, Book 2 by Gabrielle Stone in English