New York Occasions best-selling creator and journalist Anderson Cooper groups with New York Occasions best-selling historian and novelist Katherine Howe to chronicle the rise and fall of a legendary American dynasty – his mom’s household, the Vanderbilts.When 11-year-old Cornelius Vanderbilt started to work on his father’s small boat ferrying provides in New York Harbor in the beginning of the nineteenth century, nobody may have imagined that in the future he would, via ruthlessness, crafty, and a pathological want for cash, construct two empires – one in transport and one other in railroads – that may make him the richest man in America. His staggering fortune was fought over by his heirs after his dying in 1877, sowing familial discord that may by no means totally heal. Although his son Billy doubled the cash left by “the Commodore”, subsequent generations competed to seek out new and ever extra extraordinary methods of spending it. By 2018, when the final Vanderbilt was compelled out of The Breakers – the 70-room summer season property in Newport, Rhode Island, that Cornelius’ grandson and namesake had constructed – the household would have been unrecognizable to the tycoon who began all of it.Now, the Commodore’s great-great-great-grandson, Anderson Cooper, joins with historian Katherine Howe to discover the story of his legendary household and their outsized affect. Cooper and Howe breathe life into the ancestors who constructed the household’s empire, basked within the Commodore’s wealth, hosted lavish galas, and have become synonymous with unfettered American capitalism and excessive society. Shifting from the hardscrabble wharves of outdated Manhattan to the lavish drawing rooms of Gilded Age Fifth Avenue, from the ornate summer season palaces of Newport to the courts of Europe, and all the way in which to modern-day New York, Cooper and Howe wryly recount the triumphs and tragedies of an American dynasty not like every other.Written with a novel insider’s viewpoint, this can be a rollicking, quintessentially American historical past as outstanding because the household it so vividly captures.Supplemental enhancement PDF accompanies the audiobook.PLEASE NOTE: If you buy this title, the accompanying PDF will probably be out there in your Audible Library together with the audio.
- Download Audiobook Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith by Jon Krakauer in English
- Download Audiobook American Psychosis: A Historical Investigation of How the Republican Party Went Crazy by David Corn in English
- Download Audiobook White Fear: How the Browning of America Is Making White Folks Lose Their Minds by Roland S. Martin in English
- Download Audiobook The Bomber Mafia: A Dream, a Temptation, and the Longest Night of the Second World War by Malcolm Gladwell in English
- Download Audiobook Born to Be Hanged: The Epic Story of the Gentlemen Pirates Who Raided the South Seas, Rescued a Princess, and Stole a Fortune by Keith Thomson in English
- Download Audiobook Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow in English